» About Itasca
» Mission / Vision
Mission / Vision
Itasca Community College is committed to providing accessible, high-quality education that empowers our learners to pursue meaningful lives and productive careers.
Best in engaged learning…best in community partnerships…best in empowering people!
Integrity - Itasca Community College will put its principles into action, dedicating itself to the following values and using them to continually evaluate its mission, vision, and goals:
- Focus on learners and learning - Itasca Community College believes that public higher education is key to the success of the people and communities it serves.
- Collaboration - Itasca Community College values engagement within the institution and the community in working toward shared goals and the common good.
- Responsiveness - Itasca Community College values accessibility, flexibility, and the agility to anticipate and respond to learner and community needs.
- Access - Itasca Community College embraces diversity and values service to all learners.
Strategic Direction 1: Increase access, opportunity and success.
- Advance K-12 partnerships to increase the number of college-ready students and develop pathways for academic success.
- Create and implement an intrusive advising methodology, an early semester evaluation/student feedback process enabling faculty to better understand barriers to student success and identify solutions.
Strategic Direction 2: Achieve high quality learning through a commitment to academic excellence and accountability.
- Expand efforts in assessing and improving student learning through assessment at the program level; adopt TracDat and implement college-wide assessment and evaluation tool to track data for continuous quality improvement.
- Increase/expand faculty development opportunities related to teaching today’s students - promising and best practices in engaged/deep learning.
- Develop fiscal plan to upgrade physical plant, lab spaces and natural environment to improve overall learning experience.
Strategic Direction 3: Provide learning opportunities, programs and services to enhance the global economic competitiveness of the state, its regions and its people.
- Develop learning opportunities and campus action plans around cultural diversity, to improve understanding of global issues and better prepare our students for a diverse world.
- Expand customized training programs that speak to improving competitive advantage of our service region.
Strategic Direction 4: Innovate to meet current and future educational needs.
- Determine three to four attainable goals in partnership with education, business and industry partners that meet training and educational needs and advance the area’s economy.
- Evaluate and identify educational gaps and needs of current students and adopt campus-wide initiatives to address these needs.
Strategic Direction 5: Sustain financial viability during changing economic and market conditions.
- Explore alternative ways to tell our story and market ICC (improve website)
- Explore and encourage sustainable behaviors such as conservation of electricity, supplies, etc; conduct a comprehensive study on lighting and heating efficiencies on campus.
The following foundational processes will be employed by Itasca Community College as it implements its strategic plan:
- Communicate openly and clearly - The College will communicate openly and clearly with everyone within the college and the communities it serves.
- Use participatory decision making - The College will invite and utilize the advice, ideas, and suggestions of its learners, faculty, staff, and community in order to strengthen the college and shape the future.
- Respect diversity - The College will respect the strengths and experiences of learners and community members from all walks of life.
- Value its human resources - The College will provide an environment that fosters continuous development of its faculty and staff.
- Continually improve - The College will continually evaluate and improve its programs, services, and outcomes.
- Practice stewardship - The College will demonstrate accountability through stewardship of its fiscal and capital assets.
- Utilize technology - The College will enhance the use of electronic learning tools and processes to support classroom learning and to provide learners with an appropriate range of high-quality programs and services.
The Itasca Community College faculty and staff believe the first year is critical to the academic success and personal growth of our students. To best serve the unique needs of first-year students, we will:
- give students individual attention in a safe, supportive, and friendly environment
- provide high-quality instruction communicate and uphold high academic expectations
- establish positive advising relationships
- support an environment in which students experience and express diverse worldviews
- offer a comprehensive range of activities to enhance learning and personal growth
- encourage students to make connections with others on the campus and in the community
- evaluate the results of our efforts and use them for continuous improvement
Our commitment is to provide every first-year student with the best place to start.