» Programs and Majors
» Class Act - Education
Class Act - Education
Class Act / Education, AA Degree - Official Program Planner
Class Act: A unique teaching program for future educators!!
The Class Act program at Itasca Community College is a specialized teacher preparation program that's one of a kind in northern Minnesota. The coursework, the learning environment, the adventures, and the curriculum are specifically designed for educators. Students experience hands-on, real-life experiential learning at its best in classroom labs and via a specially designed curriculum for education majors. You'll become an educator in a totally new way that prepares you to teach in the 21st Century.
Auditions Open for Class Act!!
This is your chance to show up for life. You can join this unique community of learners at Itasca Community College. You'll spend two years at Itasca and two years at a four-year college or university, where you will graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Education.
Individualized Learning Plans
Your Individual Learning Plan will guide you, and technology and distance learning will give you access to a world of resources. Your teachers will be college faculty; you will also learn from many people who work outside the traditional classroom. You will learn from each other, too.
We're Looking for You!!
- High school seniors who are representative of cultural, racial, economic, geographic and ethnic diversity.
- Adult/non-traditional learners who are considering a career in education. It's never too late to begin in this profession as a teacher, counselor, or manager.
- Personal qualities: a desire to explore the world of education, a calculated risk-taker, a team player, and a self-starter who is curious and motivated to learn.
Major Program Components
- Classroom Lab Experiences: Class Act students are paired with local master teachers to complete 50 hours of paid classroom lab experience each year. Classroom experientials are available in preschool, elementary, middle and secondary settings.
- "Tweaked" Curriculum: Class Act students take the same courses other students at ICC take, but courses taken as a Class Act cohort are "tweaked" toward education. Class Act students receive an Associate of Arts degree, which transfers to a four-year college or university.
- Portfolios: Class Act students benefit from the opportunity to assemble an educational portfolio. A portfolio is a purposeful collection of student work that exhibits a student's efforts, progress and achievement in the education field.
- Educational Adventures: Class Act students are offered the chance to participate in adventures to educational sites, such as charter schools, elementary, middle and high schools, and to four-year colleges and universities.
- "Fun Adventures" Class Act students are able to participate in group activities such as pizza parties, waffle breakfasts, karaoke sing-a-longs and others.
- Dedicated Class Act Lounge - Class Act students have their own lounge on campus giving students the opportunity to work on group projects or just hang out.
Click on a link below to find out more about the Class Act Program at Itasca!!